This Dragonborn mini was a particular challenge. Not because of any new techniques I tried, but because of the scale mail armor he is wearing. Don’t get me wrong, it was a really fun project and I’m happy with the results, but that texture was a pain in the ass. It definitely wasn’t as taxing as the Owlbear miniature I did almost half a year ago, and this time around I knew a lot more about thinning my paints and different angles to navigate this kind of texture. The color palette I chose was pretty random, I kind of chose whatever I though would work well with each other and came with some fairly warm colors that complement each other/ At some point though I had painted the cape and dark armor bits first and it gave me a Shredder vibe, now part of me wishes I committed. Oh well.
My favorite aspect of this mini is the work I did on the blade. I put in some extra effort to get a good worn look on it and I think I achieved just that. If I had the chance to try this one again I would have done more battle damage effects to the armor pieces to better match the sword.
Thanks for reading Dungeoneers, I hope you enjoyed this new installment. If you liked what you read please consider donating to my ko-fi! Till next time.
The base coat paints I used are Reaper MSP and Vallejo Game Color:
- Armor/Shield: 1x blade steel, 1x regal purple, 1x mountain stone
- Sword: 1x blade steel
- Scale armor: 1x dragon bronze, 1x mountain stone
- Skin: 1x dragon red
- Cape: 1x royal purple
- Leather bits/sword grip: 1x woodland brown, 1x ebony flesh
- Metal rivets: 1x dragon bronze
- Claws: 1x desert sand