With my new set up primed and ready I got to work on my next mini. I wanted to build some skills painting metallic looking surfaces so I used that to guide my decision. I’ve seen more than a few youtube videos on Space Marines to have a few ideas on the effect I wanted to reproduce. I landed on the Goliath Fighter that you see below. It has a fairly easy surface to try some scraped up metal. First I base coated the shield and pauldrons with a mixture of heather blue and mountain stone. From there I base coated every other section: leather armor, ground, skin, clothing, etc. Next I added some details such as the tattoos and my favorite part, the metal scrapes. To achieve this I cut off a bristle from a cheap brush, dipped it into some metallic paint, then dragged it against the surfaces. To produce “deeper” gashes I used a fine tipped brush. I then thinned down some pure black paint to create a sort of soot effect on the shield. After these details were done I did some super basic shading and highlighting on the skirt and skin followed by a light wash across the whole miniature.
This is by far the best mini I have painted so far. It took a lot of work and on the spot decisions, but it came out so good. The simplicity of the technique balanced with the amazing results made this an extremely fun leaning experience.
Thanks for reading Dungeoneers, I hope you enjoyed this new installment. If you enjoyed what you read please consider donating to my ko-fi! Till next time.
The base coat paints I used are Reaper MSP and Vallejo Game Color:
- Cape/fur: 1x woodland brown, 1x desert sand
- Armor leather: 1x dark highlights
- Skirt: 1x new copper, 1x tarnished copper
- Skin: 2x dragon white, 1x mountain stone
- Hammer head: 2x mountain stone, 1x dragon white
- Hammer handle: 1x dragon red
- Metal armor: 2x heather blue, 2x mountain stone
- Metal bits: 2x dragon bronze, 1x blade steel
- Leg/chest/arm binding: 1x ebony flesh, 1x desert sand
- Shield trim: 1x dark highlights
- Necklace/jewel: 1x leather brown/ 1x copper verdigris
- Ground: 2x bleached linen
- Head tattoo: 1x pure black