I think it was inevitable to come across a project that, in my opinion, turned out to be a bust. This was the first time I tried painting a clear miniature. I did some cursory research, and it was honestly hard to find really useful and informative guides on how to paint something like this Gelatinous Cube. So with what knowledge I had I went to work. First off, please remember to thin your paints. I used my airbrush for this project thinking it would make my work easier and it was used in one of the guides I watched. My mistake was not thinning the paint enough. I thinned it appropriately for a regular mini, but obviously this is not that. I think I this blunder was a combination of not realizing the mistake, but also I was afraid if I thinned to much it just wouldn’t adhere to the mini. A remedy I recently learned about is using a matte or satin varnish for the paint to stick to. Something I will definitely try next time. On the other hand I think that inner part of the miniature turned out great. I think the color works for this sections and I wasn’t to concerned about it being as transparent as the cube itself. The skulls came out well and the weapons did too.
Even though I didn’t get the results I wanted I am still really happy with how it came out and I am glad to have learned as much as I have about this type of miniature. This was always meant to be a more experimental project where I can learn to do the basics of painting clear minis, and I think I at the very least learned what not to do.
Thanks for reading Dungeoneers, I hope you enjoyed this new installment. If you liked what you read please consider donating to my ko-fi! Till next time.
The base coat paints I used are Reaper MSP and Vallejo Game Color:
- Cube basecoat: 1x naga green, 1x magic blue, 1x candlelight yellow
- Cube second coat: 2x naga green, 1x copper verdigris
- Bones: 2x desert sand, 1x scholar flesh, 1x bleached linen
- Weapons and armor: 2x blade steel, 1x dragon bronze