The Layer Up kit continues with the Gnome Fighter. This time around I felt a lot more comfortable with doing highlights and shadows. I also found myself having an easier job with the simple minor details with the metal studs and the belt. My favorite part of this piece is the way the sword looks. It was really cool watching the blade transform with every gradual layer of wash as I worked down the sword. I think this time around the cloak is a little bit better, I felt more comfortable with the amount of shading I worked into the valleys, but I’m still struggling with attaining more vibrant highlights to contrast against the shadows.
For this project I went a bit off the book and attempted my first set of eyes, and I think it goes without saying that it’s a bit rough. I’ve definitely seen much worse attempts at eyes, and these could be worse than they are, but they need a lot of work. What I would have done differently is started close to the bridge of the nose and pulled away rather than dab circles of paint in the sockets, next I would have used a smaller brush with less paint in it. Some trial and error and I definitely learned quite a bit just from this one project.
While my painting has been steadily progressing I think what could use some improvement is my work station. These past few months I have been posting up in the dining room table. While it has worked I’m excited to finally have a work space dedicate to painting. Once I get the space how I need it I’ll finally be able to take good looking pictures of the minis, and have everything right where I need them without having to pack up my gear. I can not wait this next stage as I get deeper into this hobby.
Thanks for reading Dungeoneers, I hope you enjoyed this new installment. If you enjoyed what you read please consider donating to my ko-fi! Till next time.